Image Map

Wednesday 9 October 2013

//A Sparkly Diamond//




Finally. The day arrived.
I graduated from college (not what you were expecting?) after a ridiculously difficult last year fueled by sheer desire to complete my degree. I didn't know what that summer after graduation would hold.
I graduated without a job & wasn't sure about my career at all. But I knew I would be seeing A and his family in the states again.
So after my last class & exam, I headed out on a plane to go spend time with them.


I flew out first to visit a dear friend who walked with me through all the heartache that first year of college, the waiting stages, the being pursued by this godly man! She is a gem! 
She encouraged me so much throughout and still does to this day. 
So I flew out to see her, she dreamed with me and pondered whether that summer held engagement, whether A had bought a ring. 
Then I flew back to the Midwest to his family as A was off at a leadership camp. 
We then took off on a 2,000+ mile drive to Montana, picking him up from this training camp on the way. 


It was several days of beautiful scenery as we toured Glacier National Park. And I will admit, days of wondering if he was going to propose? We were a year away from A graduating college and we had talked about what a reasonable length of time would be for engagement, so I figured he would ask while we were in such a gorgeous place! 




It's very distracting trying to soak in the beauty of the scenery wondering if the guy next to you has a diamond ring in his pocket haha! 
After a few days, I let it going figuring maybe he had other plans, maybe he wanted to talk about it when we got back to the Midwest. 


On our drive home we stopped in Yellowstone National Park, at this point it was just us and A's immediate family (we were around a lot of extended family in Glacier, it was a family reunion). 
As pretty as Glacier was, Yellowstone took my breath away! 
We drove into the park and I couldn't stop looking at the beauty of everything! It was just yeah....stunning!! After our drive to the park, we had some daylight left to make a few more stops before heading to the place we were staying that night, so we headed to a waterfall called Tower Falls. 
We couldn't actually see much from the viewing point, and there was a trail leading down to the base of the falls. So A decided we should walk down there to check it out. 



I looked at that trail and seriously thought he was crazy, after all the driving and then walking down the trail just to have to walk all the way back up? But he seemed disappointed so I agreed it would be a good idea (haha!). He was right, it was pretty down there in the valley, we couldn't actually see the entire waterfall which was hidden round a bend, but we could hear it. There was no-one else around (did I mention the long trail haha!), so we were enjoying each others company. 


Then he pulls out my camera and starts taking fun pictures with all the water around and the light from the sun (man after my heart right there lol!). Then he stops and turns to face me acting so strange. 
(He told me later he had an entire speech but was so nervous!) 


He asked me if I would be his wife.

And of course, I said yes.



Couldn't stop smiling! 


So he put a beautiful ring on my finger at 7.45pm on August 4th, 2009.


I was betrothed. 
Not longer a girlfriend but a fiancée. 


That evening we also saw the most spectacular sunset I have ever seen! 
It had nothing to do with the beautiful ring weighing down my left hand, I'm sure!

(The hilarious part us we had no cell service for the next 24-36hrs in the park, so I couldn't call my family and tell them the news haha!) 





We spent another few weeks together, during which time I received a phone call with a job offer back in England. So the plan was, I would head back and work for a year then we would be married a year later the following Summer. 

God's timing was perfect! I'm so glad he waited and asked me in Yellowstone instead.
Even if I did wonder for days haha! 

AllGloriousWithin
This post is part of my 31 day series for the month of October, 
fighting through the fears and sharing the confusing passions I have. 
Hoping to figure out the bigger picture of all these interests. 

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Love the story!!!!! :) I can only imagine what you must have been feeling....And then, the questions were all answered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA yes!!! I was SO confused as to whether he was going to ask or not LOL!!! But then he did =) Much Love friend! =)

      Delete