Image Map

Tuesday 14 February 2012

That Perfect Valentine. {On My Heart}


 
This is perhaps more of an {On My Heart} post, but since it is Valentines Day, I thought it appropriate to share an article I return to every February 14th since reading it a few years ago.
It was written by a wonderful Sister-in-Christ who shared what the Lord taught her while she was praying through her ideal husband.


Having written a similar list myself (when I was 16), I am a huge advocate of this idea. Being able to prayerfully consider what qualities you desire your husband to have (and even from yourself before you get married).
Then pray and ask the Lord to help grow your future husband in these ways.
When a guy then comes into your life and doesn't display these qualities, trust the Lord that this may not be the guy for you.
If he is, the Lord will show you.
I found this super helpful as it showed me any 'red flags' in a guy and helped keep my heart in the right place when meeting someone who I was taken with.
With that in mind, this sweet girl was praying through her list of qualities and felt that the Lord was answering her:


I prayed for a man committed to God.
Jesus smiled, “I and my Father are one.” John 10:30

I prayed for a man that would be a spiritual leader.
“I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No man cometh
to the Father, but by me.”  John 14:6

I prayed for a man of high standards and integrity.
 “He did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth.”  I Peter 2:22

I prayed for a man of the Word.
 “I am the living Word, and
I came to live with you.”  John 1:14

I prayed for a man that knew how to be a servant.
 “Jesus made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men.”  Philippians 2:7

I prayed for a man that was full of spiritual life.
“I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”  John 10:10

I prayed for a man of faith and prayer.
Then I watched with amazement as He went out and spend all night in prayer...for me!  Luke 6:12

I prayed for a man that would provide for my needs.
He not only fed the five thousand long ago, He also feeds me today! Mark 6:41, Philippians 4:19

I prayed for a man that would be the head of the home and a leader. Someone to look up to spiritually.
 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”  Isaiah 55:9

I prayed for a man that knew how to love others...even the unpleasant outcasts.
Jesus replied, “In that while you were all yet sinners [the lowest outcast],
I died for you.”  Romans 5:8

I prayed for someone that would help me walk closer to God.
And the more I got to know him, the closer I drew to God.  Psalm 23, Matthew 6:33

 {Adapted from The Perfect Valentine, Set Apart Girl Magazine, Feb 2009, Used with Permission}



What a beautiful reminder sweet friends, that all we desire in a relationship can be found in our first love.
In Christ alone. He alone satisfies.
Not even an earthly relationship compares.
Life is not more satisfying once you have a husband in your life.
He alone satisfies our every need.

Valentines Day is a day we can spend remembering our Love for the Lord
Don't get depressed, remember His promises on this day.
He has beautiful plans for you and longs for relationship with you.
If you want a love story today, start an eternal one with your prince. 
He won't let you down.

Much Love,
L

 
 {Photo Credit: Stephanie Bohde}

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Stopping in from the link-up party at Keeping Up With the Cantelmos. I love, love, love this post! I prayed for my future husband since I was about 14, but I've never seen it put this way with Scriptures. I also love the reminder that Jesus should be our first love, and is a perfect example of what we should be, and look for. Beautiful- thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Jessica! =)
      It was something the Lord had placed on my heart to write about particularly on Valentines Day =)
      How wonderful you have been praying for him since you were 14!! That is awesome!! =)
      Be encouraged if you have not yet found him! =) Trust the Lord! He is good!

      Delete
  2. This is such an awesome post! When I first started following God in High School my Bible Study group made a "Boyfriend Requirements" List. It was so fun to talk about what we wanted in a potential man/boyfriend/husband and helped us put down in writing that we weren't going to settle! I have often looked back at that list and smiled. :)
    I also have a friend who did something similar, and typed out a list of requirements for a future husband. When she got married she framed the list and gave it to her husband! Such a cute idea :)

    Allie Ruth Morris
    acatchychorus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad you were able to do that with some friends Allie! =) That's awesome =) It is so neat to see how the Lord provides above & beyond what we hope for =)
      That is an insanely cute idea =) I didn't think of that! I think I showed A when we got married and he just smiled =)
      Much Love,
      L

      Delete
  3. As usual, I love this post. These are some of the greatest qualities found in a man. I can say I'm lucky enough to have found a man that God has grown in these ways and qualities :)

    Rachel
    http://alongthewaywithrae.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Wow yes...you are blessed =) How awesome you were able to see the Lord provide =)
      Much Love,
      L

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks erin! I loved your post too sweet girl! =)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete