Image Map

Thursday 23 February 2012

'Two Hearts In Love' Thursdays. [Let them eat cake]

That's right...Today's post is all about wedding cakes. Yum!
I am linking up to Britt @ The Magnolia Pair for her wedding cake link-up party.
This tied in perfectly with my weekly post about Wedding planning.

This post also brings me much joy as we just came back from a wedding in TN and so we still have lots of their wedding cupcakes. 
The leftovers have significantly decreased, but they are still in our fridge.
They had lots of miniature cupcakes instead of one big cake.
And tons of leftovers = great for guests who stay till the very end.
Oh baby we totally drove home (all 10hrs) with those in the car.
Several may have been consumed along the way. *cough* notme *cough*



So what tips to share about wedding cakes.
I found a picture of mine in a magazine just before we got engaged.
I was over at Erin's (SweetnessItself) gorgeous house for a visit & we were totally looking through some bridal magazines (just for fun!).
Then I lost the picture but I was able to sort of describe how I wanted it to look to A's cousin who so sweetly made it for us. Not quite the same as the picture but still pretty simple and cute.

This was an amazing way to save money.
Find a friend/relative who is an awesome baker and have them make the cake.
Lots of people are totally getting into this skill. 
Or another way is to just have one layer of real cake from a bakery & then use styrofoam to make the additional layers for that dream 7 layer cake you've always wanted.
Much cheaper....plus you can always buy sheetcake from Costco to use to serve your guests.
Seriously....no-one will know. Or care cause most cake is pretty good.
Love the monogram cake topper!
The other factor when choosing a cake is your cake topper.
If you want a specific topper, (I chose a figure from the Willow Tree collection to keep afterward) you will want to keep that in mind when picking a cake to go with it.
My sister wants something like these cuties in mind. 
I think they are adorable.

Cakes are pretty flexible depending on your budget.
You can totally go all out and spend a bunch at a fabulous bakery if your budget allows.
Or use some of the cheat-ideas if need be. 
I would recommend trying the cake at the bakery before ordering anyway =)
 (Maybe you can bring along your own ice-cream.)


{Via}
You can also use the new idea of a mountain of cupcakes instead of the traditional cake.
Makes it easier for guests to help themselves.
You may have to negotiate with the venue as to whether they will reduce their fee if they aren't serving your cake. 
You never know.

I leave you with some inspiring cakes!!!

{via}



You can even theme your cake after your wedding colors.
Don't forget to enjoy your planning!
Head over the Britt's blog & check out some other ideas.
Much Love,
L
P.S. I reach 10000 pageviews yesterday! I'm flattered that my blog has been looked at that much! Thanks guys for reading!




Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Ah! I love all of these cakes! I saved the one with the words on it and honestly might end up with that one! Glad you got your dream cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cake with the words is AMAZING!!! Definitely show me if you have it someday! =)

      Delete
  2. We had the Willow Tree "Promise" cake topper too!! I LOVE Willow :) You're making me hungry with all these pictures!

    And I hit 10,000 pageviews recently myself. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaimie =) I love willow tree too =) I totally want their Nativity =)

      Delete
  3. Wow, beautiful cake inspiration! Love it! I'm a big fan of cupcakes. awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is some gorgeous inspiration! I'm a big fan of cupcakes, but you've got some great tips for saving money on a layer cake. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea, I love your sweet comments =)

      Delete
  5. The last 3 cakes are my faves! I am also loving the individual cupcakes! There is just something sooo yummy about wedding sweets <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know right!! I just finished the last leftover chocolate cupcake from my friends wedding from last weekend. So sad =( Wedding cake just tastes awesome! =)

      Delete
  6. Love all your ideas! These cakes are so pretty! Your cake it going to be beautiful ! Thanks so much for linking up !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my kind of post :) I am engaged and getting married in July -- and cake is on the mind, I have the baker, but not yet the style and let me say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the one you posted with the names and all the wording!!!! It's so beautiful<3 I'm your newest follower via the hop, feel free to follow me along at the happily ever after project

    ReplyDelete