Image Map

Monday 20 February 2012

{On my Heart} Mondays. [Loving all the days of your life]

To love a spouse amid the flame of honeymoon passion is human,
but to love a spouse all the days of your life,
even before you ever lay eyes upon that person -
this kind of love is divine.
Eric & Leslie Ludy, A Perfect Wedding

Love begins way before your wedding day, even before you ever meet 'The One' the Lord has for you. 
Love, the way the world throws at us, sounds alluring but is so different to real Love.
Dating whomever you want - no committment so no hurt involved right? 
If you really 'love' someone, you will sleep with them. 
See where the relationship goes, if you guys don't like it, well that's ok - it was just dating!
Sounds so carefree and full of pleasure.
But the root of a lot of the world's version of love is selfishness
How the other person completes us, how they make us feel, how they satisfy us 'in the moment'.
We stop wanting to be a part of the Love when we are not longer satisfied

Marriage thrives on a different kind of love, a divine kind.
We only have to look at scripture to understand it is nothing like what the world defines as love.

'Love is patient and kind. 
Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
 It does not demand its own way.
 It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 
It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, 
and endures through every circumstance.'
{1 Corinthians 13: 4-7}


'A Poetic love is a selfless love.
It's noble, it's pure, it's tender, it's dignified, it's grand....
it's heavenly.
We all have our moments of selfless nobilioty, but poetic love isn't a one-time heroic deed. 
Rather, it's a lifelong lifestyle of romantic service to our spouse.'
Eric & Leslie Ludy, A Perfect Wedding

One of the most beautiful ways of keeping romance alive in marriage is thinking of the other person. Being mindful of their needs.
This can start before you are married.
If you are single, you are still able to be mindful of the one that the Lord has planned for you.
You can care for them by loving them all your days.

How can you possibly love them all your days? You mean before you even know them.
That's what I am proposing!

When you are not married and the Lord hasn't yet shown you the one He has for you, there is an incredibly opportunity to still love them in waiting.
You can write them love notes or even songs as well as not allowing access to the inner depths of your heart to any guy who shows interest.
It is not a bad thing for a guy to work for your heart.
A man who is truly seeking God will work for the priviledge of knowing your heart.


I started a book of notes when I went to college, I will have to explain our story fully sometime to explain the beauty behind what the Lord was doing in my life. (I know I keep saying this.)
I had surrendered a relationship to the Lord and was not dating.
I did not have anyone pursuing me as much as I wanted that to be happening.
I bought a book and started writing letters to my future husband.
I wrote in that book through to the night before my wedding day.
It was such a wonderful gift to give to A.
I won't share with you any of the content as it is reserved for his eyes only - but it was my gift to him of the inner depths of my heart.
I wrote dreams in there, letters & prayers...when he did appear on the scene and we did not want to discuss any 'heavy' topics initially those went in there too.
I was able to pour my heart out in those letters, freely.
I wanted him to see my love for him all those days even when I was not sure who he was.


Even if you feel you didn't start early enough, or you are already in a relationship.
Why not start anyway
I have several amazing friends who started this so much earlier than I did.
But it was still beautiful even though I only wrote in my book for a few short years.

'God never wastes a test of patience.'
  Eric Ludy

'Restlessness and impatience change nothing except our peace and joy. Peace does not dwell in outward things, but in the heart prepared to wait trustfully and quietly on Him who has all things safely in His hands.'
― Elisabeth Elliot

The point I am trying to make is the importance of selfless love.
Sacrifice before you are married, builds sacrifice in marriage.
Patience now helps you to be more of a grace-dispenser in marriage.


'Before you get married, learn to give everything - 
and learn to give as if giving were the greatest pleasure, 
because it is. 
Learn to stop figuring out what you should be getting out of the deal. 
Learn to give without a required payback. 
Learn to give simply because God has given so much to you.'
― Eric & Leslie Ludy, A Perfect Wedding

Learning to give selflessly for me, is also a way to be content.
There is nothing like focusing on someone else to help you see what truly matters.
That you and your problems are really not that big.

Even if you have made mistakes in the past, God is a redemptive God.
He is able to wash your slate clean, wash you literally white as snow.
He frees us from our past enabling us to start living for Him today.
Live to glorify Him with your love life.
Trust him to show you the prince He has for you.
Show the Lord that you trust Him by living devoted to that prince all the days of your life.

Much Love,
L


Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. This is absolutely amazing!! These are awesome words of truth that are not spoken enough. I love the idea of writing letters to your future husband...something I wish I would've done before getting married. Thank you so much for posting this :) And I love the Eric & Lesley Ludy quote...they rock :)

    Cheers!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!! Eric & Leslie totally rock!! I learn SO much whenever I hear his sermons on their website.
      Much Love,
      L

      Delete
  2. I love this! Human love = what it can get, Gods love = what it can give.

    Thank you for your sweet words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up with us today! I love what you said about being a grace-dispenser...after 13.5 years of marriage...I'm finding daily that that is the key!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wrote notes to my future husband starting when I was in 8th grade! It was fun to share them with him on our honeymoon. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather! =)
      Thats so sweet! I didnt start in 8th grade....but I did start praying back then. I wish I had written down those prayers. Such an amazing gift for your husband! Much Love!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post and a great message of LOVE!! Its been great getting to know who L is and reading your story:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aligna! Same to you =)
      I'm so glad I found your blog!
      Much Love!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post lady! You are so wonderful ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Britt! You are just the sweetest! This made my day =)

      Delete
  7. This is seriously SO SO beautifully written!! I want to share this with two of my single friends who are struggling with waiting right now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan!! Totally! Please feel free to share away! =) Much Love!

      Delete
  8. This is absolutely wonderful. I did write a few letters to Joshua long before I knew who he was. It was so precious to be able to give those to him. :)

    What's really amazing, dear L, is that I was discussing this very thing with a beloved friend just before I read this post, and I've just sent her the link to it. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He totally is so good! There have been several posts floating on this topic in the past week (totally concidental!). Love when the Lord puts similar things on our hearts =)
      Much Love!

      Delete
  9. awwww our hearts are SO the same which is one of the reasons why i love you my dear friend!! :) how encouraging to hear from a married lady what the Lord does with a heart that waits and prays for her future husband. i've been writing those letters to my man since i was 13...how exciting to love our husbands all our days :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww sweet Erin!! I know!! I'm so thankful the Lord brought us to meet each other! You are so precious! =) You have a beautiful heart! The Lord is so proud of you =)

      Delete
  10. This post was absolutely incredible. :) Well done my friend. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore this post! I think it is so profound and true. Thank you so much for linking it up and sharing it with me! I want to share this on my facebook wall as well so more people read it. It is fabulous!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, you are so sweet =) Totally girl go ahead and share it =)

      Delete
  12. Amazing. I love that you wrote letters. So beautiful. You have an amazing way with words. Keep using that gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura =) You're so sweet =)

      Delete