Image Map

Friday 12 October 2012

Exploring Thankfulness: 1000 Gifts.



What is important to us in life? Is it all about reaching certain goals or seeing certain dreams come alive. Do we all secretly think that we will really become those elderly white-haired happy couple in the nursing home who are completely joyful about their entire life. With no regrets now looking back. Or does it take learning along the way a little something about joy? 
I don't know that we ever wake up one day after reaching retirement and just suddenly feel joyful about life. 
(Although I am not at that point in life so I could be wrong, but it's just a hunch.)


Maybe joy is more of a learned practice.


A choice.



Isn't everyone trying to find joy in this world? Whether we be looking in a job, a relationship, a family, a health situation, life situation. It's even what we wish each other. I hope you will be happy  together (when wishing a newly married couple happiness) or telling someone you hope they find the happiness they are looking for. 
We all think that if we just had that next thing, we would feel it....the joy. 
If only I was engaged to that godly man, if only we were married instead of still waiting, if only our financial situation were more stable, or if we could have that baby right now, if only our kids were a little older, if only I had a different health situation, if only I were in their situation.....then I would feel the joy. 



Ann Voskamp writes in her book about the Greek word for 'joy' ('chara') and how it is found within the word for 'giving thanks' 

euCHARisteo

I really think she is onto something in her exploration of joy being found in the process of being thankful. How the two are more connected than we might at first think. 

She continues to point out how in the garden of Eden, being ungrateful was the root of what happened when Adam and Eve first sinned. How being grateful is in fact linked to a fuller, more joyful life. More on that first chapter of the book here

Hopefully this explains more about where this 31 days of thankfulness has come from. From a conviction from dear Ann's book in finding joy in the everyday. Practicing thankfulness in order to see life joyfully. 

Are any of you feeling more joyful during these first 10 days of thankfulness? I am totally feeling it! 

Much Love,
L

Fall fashion Facts:
Shirt: Target
Vest: Aeropostale
Jeans: Aeropostale
Paris Necklace: Old Navy
Mint Nail Polish: Target
Joyful smile: God



AllGloriousWithin

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts :) thank you for the thought and heart you put into each!
    i'm not doing a particular '31 days' of anything this year; and that's okay. But I am loving the wisdom there is to glean from so many places! I love that here, I can refocus on the now, and be reminded to live in the moment and praise God for each moment...
    xo Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book was a TRUE blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First let me start off by saying I love your plaid shirt and vest outfit. When I clicked on your picture on The Pleated Poppy, I just thought I was going to get a closer look at your darling threads. But when I started reading your post, you made me stop and think. My husband and I have been going through very hard time with fertility, and we went though what I hope is the worst of it earlier this year. I have found myself saying those very words, if I had... everything would be better, but I sometimes forget that even though we don't have the baby we want right now, we do have A LOT of other things to be grateful for. Thank you so much for reminding me! I am now your newest follower!

    xx
    Serena
    http://theserenasaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Serena! First of all let me say how DROP DEAD GORGEOUS you are, I just headed over to your blog!!!! Just wow!!! Your comment means so much to me, you are so super sweet! Thank you for sharing those kind words, they are so encouraging to hear =) Praying for you and your husband, that you would know the Lord's comfort and peace during such a difficult time girl! I can't even imagine how hard that must be!
      Thank you again for your precious words! They mean so much more than you know!

      Delete