Image Map

Monday 5 March 2012

{On My Heart} Mondays. [Saving that First Kiss]


I know I keep saying this and I really hope none of you are too mad with waiting, I do plan on writing our love story for you one of these days. It may be in several installments but I have a feeling that will be ok for some of you too.
While I was lying in bed last night, I was thinking about what the Lord had been nudging me about this week. As every week there are a lot of things He has been working into my heart. I still have a strong desire to adopt, a desire for Africa, of learning how to love others regardless of responses.
I may write about some of these more in the future.
How does all this tie together?
Well...part of our love story is a personal conviction that the Lord worked into my heart in my teenage years which I wanted to share with you guys.

When I was fifteen, I still had not been kissed.
I desperately wanted to. I knew A by this point and this was something which we disagreed on.
 (I had a crush on him when we first met, but it did fade for a while around this age)
I thought he was crazy for not wanting to kiss anyone except his future wife
I wanted that Cinderella, foot-popping kiss experience now! 
I didn't want to be old-fashioned, I wanted to be normal.
All my other friends were kissing guys and it seemed like a natural thing to do at this age.
This guy in my youth group  pursued me at this age also. He was not the kind of guy I would have wanted to marry or date.
He asked me to date him, I told him I didn't feel right about it (my heart just wasn't at peace) and I swiftly put an end to that notion. 
Praise God in all my silliness, even this guy never attempted to kiss me ever despite my weakness at this time.
I thought that really weird at the time that he never tried to kiss me.
I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

When I was seventeen, I realised my heart had changed.
I can't pinpoint an exact day this occured, sorry no magical moment.
One day I realised that I no longer had a desire to be kissed.
I was seventeen and had never kissed anyone, and I liked it that way.
I had been reading a lot of books on relationships and courtships.
I was far more content in my walk with the Lord at seventeen compared to when I was fifteen. 
I felt He had amazing plans for my life



 'For I know the plans I have for you,’ says the Lord, 
‘plans for well-being and not for trouble, to give you a future and a hope. 
Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, 
and I will listen to you. 
You will look for Me and find Me, 
when you look for Me with all your heart.'
{Jeremiah 29:11-13}

One of the convictions he had been working into my heart was waiting to kiss until my wedding day.
It didn't sound crazy anymore.
I felt like this first kiss was super special now. 
I had held onto it for eighteen years, I didn't just want to give it to anybody.
I felt the Lord asking me to wait and give it as a gift to my husband.
This sounded like the ultimate Cinderella story in the making.
She was a young girl who waited for her prince to pursue her,
she didn't kiss a bunch of frogs to get to her prince.
We aren't told a lot of information about Cinderella but her character to me displays a girl who waited patiently until she met her prince.


'But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people.'
{Ephesians 5:3}



'And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ..'
{Philippians 1:9-10} 



The Lord was so wonderful in working this into my heart.
This was a conviction I felt He wanted me to pursue,
to keep myself pure for my husband by saving myself in this way.
Enter A upon the scene once again after a few years of distant friendship.
Suddenly the convictions of this young man were attractive to me.
We became fast friends.
Which turned into more....but that my friends is a whole other story.


 Trusting the Lord with this desire to be kissed was one of the best things I ever did.
A helped me keep that personal conviction too.
Even once engaged, we could have persuaded ourselves it was fine to now kiss.
If we had been without this conviction, I am sure it would have been.
I still wanted to wait until the altar.
So that day on July 23rd, 2010....
at 23 years old.
I got my first kiss.
It may have been slightly awkward & I may have giggled so much A had to ask me to stop so he could actually kiss me.
But it was magical.

Now kissing seems special every time.
There are so many pictures from the first months of marriage of us kissing each other.
I can't even describe how amazing it was to wait and then enjoy our physical attraction for each other on our honeymoon without worrying about kissing leading too far.
I would encourage young girls to consider the same.
I don't feel I missed out on anything by not kissing anyone in high school.
I may have been different from other girls at my school.
I was different anyway.
I loved the Lord.
I felt content to be different in this way, I may not have broadcasted that I didn't kiss anyone.
But to those whom I spoke with individually, I loved sharing my conviction.
No-one critized me for wanting to wait.
I had the opposite response from girls around me most of the time,
I'm sure some thought I was absolutely crazy and would never be kissed.
The Lord had other plans for me.
He changed my heart and moulded me (with my permission)
to fit the person I would one day marry. 


Don't misunderstand me, our love story was not totally perfect.
I am not claiming to be or saying everyone should be like us.
We are both sinners and we still made mistakes while dating.
I just wanted to share with you guys how gracious the Lord was to us in this area.
How our small act of saving ourselves in this way was used by Him to bring Him glory.
He is totally responsible for any beauty in our story.
Praise Him!



What do you feel the Lord has personally convicted you of,
either now or something from a while ago?
I would love to hear about it.
Much Love,
L



Pin It!

23 comments:

  1. My brother in law and sister in law did this too! They got married this past June. Like you, they had their first kiss at the wedding. It was so sweet! I was a blubbering mess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is amazing! Waiting until your wedding day to have your first kiss. At such a young age you put your trust into God and your kept that trust and promise even with the peer pressure of not fitting in. Your relationship with God is so inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post!!! And what a great testimony of Love to share with young ladies who are waiting for their prince:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great :)

    xoxo - kylie
    www.livinglovingandphotographing.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this story!! I think that it is wonderful you waited. The only man I ever have kissed is my husband, and the first time we kissed was after he asked me to marry him. Although we didn't wait until our wedding to kiss, I am still so thankful that we are the only one each other has ever kissed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby and I did not wait till our wedding to have our first kiss. Sometimes I wish we had...might have saved us some trouble during our dating/engaged months. But we WERE each other's very first kiss. :) I was thrilled about that...neither of us had dated or kissed anyone else until each other.

    I very much admire your will-power and self-control, and your desire to be as pure in your relationship as possible! I personally don't think it's wrong to kiss before marriage...but it definitely has a lot of great benefits to wait! :) Good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh what a sweet post! I LOVE it! so romantic and lovely. :) Oh, i tagged you in a post. check it out when you get a second. :) http://gavinandlauren.blogspot.com/2012/03/why-not.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are AMAZING, my sweet friend! :) what a timely and encouraging post :) as someone who is still saving her first kiss for her future husband, your testimony is just what i needed to hear. i LOVE you so much and you are ever so precious and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love that story. beautiful! miss u!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful story! Love it.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow good for you! Kissing is a very precious thing and I am happy that it was everything and more for you.
    http://hectorandsam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking up! Your story is an encouragement, and one that testifies to the Lord's gracious protection, guidance, and blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's cool! Firsts definitely are a bonding experience, praise God for that sweet blessing that came through your obedience (and his grace).

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet story! That's so great you held true to your convictions. My hubs and I did, too. It was so worth it!
    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet and wise woman of God, you touched my heart. I wish my daughter, who is still a little 5 year old lady have the same conviction in her heart and do the same!


    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very very beautiful story. I am 22 and have never been kissed. My boyfriend and I have been dating over 2 years and never kissed. He is 26 and has never kissed!!! Its possible but it has to come from the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I wish I would have had influences like yourself in my teen years- seriously such a beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found this post from your 2012 review, and am so glad that I did! I was not walking with the Lord for the majority of my life, so I did not save those precious first times for my future husband, but the Lord so wonderfully planted the conviction in my heart to want to stay pure from now until I marry. It's so hard to remind myself that love is not only expressed in the physical manner, and that it is sooo much more intimate when it is shared on a spiritual level. Your story inspires me so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. found this through the tell your story link up - and I love your dedication to your goal! I really loved though, what you said about loving people despite their responses. That really penetrated my heart. Thank you for writing this today. or at least re-posting it so i could find it. I needed that. :)

    kiri from www.greentreesredroses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cool! I love this! Me and my boyfriend have been dating for a little bit over a year now, and marriage is a big topic of discussion and we still haven't kissed. I hope we wait, stories like yours are so wonderful! (0:
    Love and blessings,
    Lacy

    P.S. I wanted to shout out to Jess from Forever Convinced that's how I found your blog (0:

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, I officially feel dumb. I told you that I found you through Jess and that's not true. I found you because you commented a sweet comment on my post! Wow! Sorry it has been an absolutely crazy day. But either way Jess is so cool and you should look at her blog if you haven't! And again thank you for the comment and the encouragement. I am so scatter brained sometimes. Love and Blessings to you!
    -Lace

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish I could be as content as you were with God's love and singlehood. Obviously I'm still looking for affection in all the wrong places...but I keep saying I'm not going to get what I want so bad until I fully understand God's love and be content!!

    ReplyDelete