Image Map

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Where do you find your worth?


I don't know how many of you ladies have had the opportunity to watch
 (or read if you are a book-lover) The Help
I watched it when it came to redbox with a precious friend when she came to visit last December
and just loved it. 

This past week, while I had no internet and felt completely pooped from all the moving and cleaning.....
I decided to watch it again.
This time the sweet interaction between Skeeter (the main character) 
and the maid from her childhood, Constantine, 
reinforced a similar thing I had read in my devotions 
(I started reading Rebecca St James Pure about a week ago).


Skeeter is feeling depressed about her school friends and mother telling her
she isn't pretty and is sitting alone in the garden.
Constantine says to her:

'I wish you'd quit feeling sorry for yourself!
Now that's ugly!' 

She goes on to tell Skeeter how everyday that you wake up in life
you have to make a decision about whether you are going
to believe what other people are saying about you.
It so resonated the message from the day two devotion I had read about 
who you let determine your worth.

As women, are we basing our value on what others think of us? 
Do we spend all our time making ourselves beautiful because of
how others will respond to us? Do we behave a certain way to win the respect
of those whose opinion we value?
Do we let other people's negative comments about us get us down?
Do we hear those comments and opinions above what our precious heavenly Father thinks of us?




There are a few people in my life who I would love to have positive opinions about
me. But to what extend should I want those opinions?
I certainly don't think I should change who the Lord has made me and change
the ways He is using in ministry just to seem better to a select few.


Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? 
Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.
And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 
So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
[Matthew 10:29-31]


I am not trying to preach a self-worth message, I am just talking about seeing
oneself with God-worth (not self-worth).
Choosing to believe the Lord's truths about yourself instead of trying to win the approval
and respect of others to find worth.
I hope to never live life with a sense that God is disappointed in me,
that I will never be good enough.
But instead to choose to believe His truth.
That I am loved and secure in Him.
I belong to Him.
I am accepted and cherished - By Him.


Remember that there is one person whose opinion matters.
He has already told you what He thinks of you.
(Read the Bible to know more...)


Don't base your opinion of yourself on false or conditional love from others.
You are not more important to Him because of what you do or don't
do for others.
Don't get so wrapped up in selfishness that you can't see beyond yourself
to see who you are in Christ.
(Yes, that is possible....)


You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 
Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, 
though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: 
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
[Romans 5:6-8]



{Via}


Remember ladies.....

The Lord loves You.
He wants to spend time with You
(even if it feels like no-one else wants to).
He values You.
He won't exclude You.
He understands You & Cherishes You.

Know that you are Loved by the Lord.


Where do you find your worth?



Much Love,
L





P.S. I hope to be back now with regular internet =) Thanks for being awesome hosts for my guest posters.

Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you posted this!! Preaching or not... we ALL need this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome awesome post!! I was just thinking of that movie and how great it is, and I love how you tied the movie in with your devotions. I really love the way God uses random, unexpected ways to help solidify what we've been reading in His word, and meditating on... He's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. found you thru the sweetness itself blog and now follow you thru GFC! do you have time to follow mine? lovely blog, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an amazing theology prof who constantly reinforced our unity with Jesus Christ as His followers. Being in Christ is an AMAZING blessing and it is worth more than anything anyone on earth can give us. Thanks for the encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SERIOUSLY loved that movie. SO good! I love how you related it to our every day life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SUCH an important message and I know you said you aren't trying to preach a self worth message but some girls need it...that girl used to be me. I remember the exact day I stopped caring what others thought of me - I did my hair wavy for work and one girl walked passed me and told me it looked ADORABLE - wow I was feeling great...then I arrived to the room I was walking into (literally 2 minutes later...) and a girl said "what's going on with your hair today???" - it took me 24 years to realize you just can't make everyone happy and it's not about pleasing THEM. sad. good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post and I needed this reminder! I'm so glad I read it. You are right when you say we need to find our worth in Christ, so simple yet so profound.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS WAS A TIMELY POST FOR ME TODAY, I SENT THE LINK TO MY NIECE WHO REALLY NEEDS TO FIND HER WORTH. THANK YOU FOR SHARING

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wanted to stop by and say thank you for linking up for blogworking wed! I hope you met some great new bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friend, I am trying not to cry here!!! ;) I needed to hear this today - having a rough day and the Lord spoke straight to me through this post and your wise words. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I LOVE THIS! That is seriously all I can say as I read this! I love it. Thank you so much for sharing this!


    XO. deejmbl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're raised many thought-provoking questions. I love the reminders you give of our worth in God's eyes. Thanks! (Visiting from Faith Filled Friday linkup.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. big, glad, grinning, grateful YES to every
    sweet morsel of this!
    well said, beautiful soul:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you for the reminder.That God's opinion is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  15. dropping in from manic mondays...I love...love the Help...the book was wonderful...and it is a beautiful picture how we love someone with words and actions to be all God intended them to be...I also love...you is kind, you is smart...you is important. As woman we do believe so many lies that rob us from knowing who are in Christ...good words here...blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Visiting from Moms Against Manic Mondays...

    What a beautiful reminder!! Thank you...

    Have a fantastic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great reminder! Thank you for sharing. :) Btw, I really enjoyed watching The Help as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved that show! Thanks for this important reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bless you for such encouragement.

    ReplyDelete