Image Map

Monday 20 August 2012

Contentment & the 10th Commandment



As we were sitting in a bible study early Sunday morning, the pastor started preaching on the tenth commandment. 
I will go ahead and say that I don't know that off the top-of-my-head.

“You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”

[Exodus 20:17]


This is not normally the type of passage which is talked about a lot, at least not where I have been attending church. 
So it caught my attention.
As we unpacked the actual definitions of that verse, it becomes clear how serious this is to the Lord as He added it as a command. Right up there with murder and loving the Lord above all else.


So while we talked about it as a group we discussed the meaning of covet: to want something that belong's to someone else and discussed what we could want that others have.
Material possessions (like a house, iphone, etc)
Relationships (boyfriend, fiance, perfect husband)
Situation in life (good job, set financially, obvious spiritual gift, big ministry)





As a group we then talked about how the Lord has each of us in a specific situation for a reason.
If He has chosen not to give us that job right now, or bring that guy into our lives or bless us with a baby......
then 
He obviously knows that we don't need those things to accomplish what He wants us to do with our lives right now.


And how do we counter envying others?

With contentment.

We chose to focus on where God has us. Not where He has those around us.
Seeing those blessings He has put into our lives, the opportunities given to us.
As we focus on what we have instead of what we don't have.
We will grow in contentment with where the Lord has us.




This has been a hard lesson for me this past year.
Choosing to trust the Lord with our finances when I thought we had so little. (He always provided)
Trusting Him with involvement at our church when we lived so far away and couldn't realistically get involved. 
Being frustrated seeing others the same age or younger than us seem to have it a lot more together and start a family. (I have since learned that comparing myself to another just brings frustration, never contentment) 


Learning that we are not anyone else.
We are us.
God has plans specifically for us.
Just like He does for you.
And they might look very different to everyone else around you. 

What an exciting adventure!





'And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.'
[Philippians 4:19]




Much Love,
L


Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. this is a good post! I just realized this for myself not that long ago - funny thing is...when I realized all of this and decided to be content is when my husband and I grew even more and ended up being able to build a house. It's all a heart condition. good message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this message too...quite challenging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I can really relate with. You and me both, girl!! I hear ya on this--and I'm always working on contentment. :) Thank God for his grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, I'm so with you! Comparing myself to others just leads to frustration. Focusing on the Lord brings contentment. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the longest time I was comparing myself to others, coveting their "normal" lives, and callings, when mine looked so different and wasn't an easy one. But slowly I began to be content in my situation, to love every moment of it and recognize it as a gift that Rwanda is my calling. I love how you put it, "He obviously knows that we don't need those things to accomplish what He wants us to do with our lives right now." That statement couldn't ring more true. This really was a wonderful post and one that I needed to read as a reminder, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm over from Titus 2sday and thanks for sharing this. I am content with the way things are right now. I have super big dreams, but right now is enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! The last year for us has been very different than what I would've planned... this is a good reminder to be content with where God puts us :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is something if I am not careful I do. Convent. When I work on it and am happy with what I have it is when the growth happens. I just need to be faithful on the working on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved this post. so true. it is not always easy to be content, but I'm thankful we serve a God that knows exactly what we need. even if it doesn't line up with what my heart wants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ach. This is what I would call an 'ouchy message'. One that I know I need to hear, but I REALLY DON'T WANT TO!
    Thanks for delivering it anyway. :-)
    Coming to you via Laura Krokos' place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you on a struggle with contentment. It seems like I always find what that other person has that I don't. Now that I have my son, it's super hard when I can't give him what other parents are giving their children. But you are right, focusing on what God has done for us breeds contentment.

    Thanks for linking up with WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, our Lord is the Supplier. And, in our present day, no one can have enough of everything without feeling they've been treated badly. Jealousy for "stuff" has increased. I like how you and your friends discussed this in a form of reality. We DO need to keep our focus on Him and not all of "it".

    Thanks for sharing so clearly.

    ReplyDelete