Image Map

Monday 23 April 2012

{On My Heart} Mondays. [Confessing to Each other]


As a church we finished going through the entire book of Genesis
It only took just over a year =) 
I'm thankful for all the things we have been learning & whatever we look at next.
Today our pastor had the congregation spend the teaching time sharing with each other in a time of confession, prayer & praise.
This meant sharing in front of the whole church things you want others to be praying for, praises to share with the body & confessing specific sin to each other.


'Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. 
The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.'
{James 5:16}


What a humbling wonderful experience.
It was incredible how the entire section of time laid aside for this was filled with a continuous stream of people wanting to share with each other ways they were struggling and confess specific sins. Some seemingly quite big.
I am so thankful to be a part of a church body that is combating pride and openly admitting struggles.

How easy I find it to pretend that my life is ok because I don't do things as bad as others.
How easy it is for me to reduce my sin in my mind because it isn't as bad as what the person next to me is dealing with.
Today tied in well with another thing the Lord had placed on my heart a week or so ago. 
As I was reading a book in one of my favorite series, a conversation happened in which the characters were talking about a specific sin and how christians are often seen as judgemental and narrow-minded because of the way they respond to this specific sin. 


'We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.'
 {1 Timothy 1:8-11}


Scripture shows us that God doesn't have something against a person commiting a specific sin. 
He hates all sin
We are all born with a bend toward sin. We are not perfect, none of us.
There is no sin that is bigger than any other.
Just because I didn't go and sleep around with someone doesn't mean that God dislikes the fact that I am prideful.
That I might think myself better than someone else because I don't struggle with that particular problem.
It is the same to Him. 


Such a humbling reminder for me that everyone struggles with sin.
Even those people who seem larger than life to me.
Some people's struggles happen to be more obvious and end up hurting others.
But that doesn't mean that a 'good person' doesn't struggle.
The Lord has been nudging me and showing me how I need to make much of my own sin, not think of myself as better than others because theirs seems more serious.
It is all serious.
And this is good because it helps me deal with those bad areas, with His help.



Praise Him for dying for us and making salvation possible through His son.
It is only Him in me that is good.
He loves us and knows that life is hard for us....He promises to be with us and asks us to encourage each other, confess our sin to each other and to keep fighting against whatever sin we struggle with.
While we are fighting, we are healthy.
It shows we are engaged in fighting our sinful nature.


I am so thankful that He loves each of us.
Regardless of what each of us has done in the past.

Much Love,
L


P.S. Please do not misunderstand me in assuming that good things are what makes us right with God. We can't earn our salvation. If you have questions, please email me =)
I would love to talk with you or pray with you if you have a prayer request.
[allgloriouswithinblog@gmail.com]


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart on this issue. My husband and I were having this conversation with friends just yesterday afternoon - it's so nice to be able to relate to other Christians. Those who are completely closed up really aren't helping anyone - including and especially themselves. Now, that's not to say that all sin is to be made a public matter, but there are things that we go through, I believe, to be made more relatable to other Christians. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO true! I think as someone who grew up in church, I truly struggled with arrogance and pride but thought I was okay because I didn't cuss or drink. But that's not true! God wants our hearts, and a prideful heart does not honor Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Beautiful truth you wrote in that comment! =) He totally does want our hearts! Love you girl! =)

      Delete
  3. Amen! Thank you for sharing this. It is so important to be specific and constant in confession to God and others. I have struggled with pride my whole life and I think it will be something God will continue to work on the of my life too.
    Thanks again. I couldn't have said it as well myself.
    Alesha <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know what you mean girl! Its something I too struggle with =) Praise the Lord He is able to work on that with us =)
      Much love!

      Delete
  4. This is an important post, L!
    On my journey, I’ve learned that when sin behavior is pointed out to us…it’s not meant to make us feel bad. Our Lord corrects us or places awareness on our hearts so that we may do better and come up higher…which is the complete opposite of feeling guilt for sin. Correction and awareness are signs of love to do better. People are so harsh on themselves when they don’t need to be…they just need to do their best and rest in fact that the Lord loves them (and is not surprised by them).
    ~Elle (www.renewedcorner.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this comment, Elle! =) So truth & so well said =)
      Much love to you girl!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing, loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I studied the WHOLE Bible in College, so I totally understand! Love that top photo too <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY??? That is just awesome!! I so wish I had been able to do some classes in theology =) aww youre so sweet thanks! =)

      Delete
  7. The Lord is faithful to continue the work he's began in you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He totally is! Thanks for that beautiful truth, Ruth =) Much love!

      Delete
  8. "I am so thankful that He loves each of us.
    Regardless of what each of us has done in the past -- love it. His love is very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet post. We often spend too much time comparing ourselves to others instead of the One who is looking to transform us into the image of The Son.

    Thanks for sharing on Time Warp Wife link-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visitng and reading girl! =) Much love!

      Delete
  10. just came across your blog and so glad i did! keep shining His light! :)

    ReplyDelete