Image Map

Monday 30 April 2012

{On My Heart} Mondays. [Each of us is talented, every one.]

'My instinctive impulse was to find my worth in the response of the people around me, and as a result, people became measuring sticks for my goodness rather than unique expressions of God.'
{Grace for the good girl By Emily P. Freeman, p.20}


We had a great discussion as a church body yesterday about many things. 
One of which was talents.
You know each of us has them. 
Not spiritual gifts, but talents.
Things we are good at.
Its a never-ending list of things from cooking, photography, sewing, felt crafts, music ability, painting, landscaping.......



Every single one of us is talented in some way or another.
The Lord has gifted each of us in this way. 
The other thing is that all of our talents are different.
You may not be an amazing photographer, most of us aren't.
You may not be a good writer, most of us aren't.
You may try painting and produce something that looks like a five year old created it, or maybe that's just me.


Anyway you look at it,
God has made you unique.
You don't look as good as she does, you aren't supposed to.
You may not do something as well as she does, you aren't supposed to.
Your walk will look different from those around you, because only you are you.



It's hard in a world where certain talents are held in high esteem
In our culture we idolise people who can sing, people who can make 3-pointers with their eyes closed, people who can take pictures that look straight out of national geographic, girls who can make any outfit look amazing.
If God has gifted you in these particular ways, that's awesome!
But just because we don't fit the mold of what's 'in' right now doesn't make us less talented, sisters.

Psalm 139 says,

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. 
You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. 
You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed.
How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.
    They cannot be numbered! 
I can’t even count them;
    they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
    you are still with me!
 (v13-18)

 God gifts each of us with different talents for a reason.



Now if the foot should say, 
“Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” 
it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 
And if the ear should say, 
“Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” 
it would not for that reason stop being part of the body.  
 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? 
If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?  
 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, 
just as he wanted them to be.  
 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 
As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
{1 Cor 12:15-20} 

We are all used for different purposes.
We all have the common goal of using our talents to build and expand the Lord's kingdom.
Whatever area He has gifted you in, and it may be extremely different to those around you, use it for His glory.
If you can cook well, then cook to make much of Him to those around you.
If you can dance, dance for His glory and shine for Him.
If you can sing, Sing for Him & showcase His light to those around you.
If you can do hair well, offer your time and talents to those around you.
If you are good with kids, then help the families around you.
The Lord can open many doors for us to talk about our faith when we reach out in these areas.


I hope to encourage all of you to pursue whatever talents the Lord has given you.
Don't compare yourself with anyone else.
Don't measure yourself against anyone else's God-given talents.
Shine for Him with the talents He has given you.


When we are all in eternity with our precious Savior
the only thing that will matter will be relationships
Whether or not the people around us get to share in that joy 
of being face-to-face with our Lord. 


Remember that you are loved.
Remember that you are talented.
Shine for Him.
Reach others for Him.


Much Love,
L

 Disclaimer: I am not here to boast about my talents, I do not have a gifting for guitar of any kind. These pictures were totally posed. =)


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. I really want to check out the book you quoted at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thank you for this post. I've had this "I'm not good at anything" struggle. Now that I seek God, asking Him to use me for His good, I see the talents he's given me. It just takes seeking Him first and using them for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great encouragement, L. I know I've fallen in the comparison trap from time to time. And all I do is waste time and miss opportunities that God wanted me to use to express His gifts through me to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful analogy! It's so amazing that God doesn't even have to peel the layers of sin to see us for who we are at the heart of it...but we do! I look forward to keeping up with your blog!
    -Allison
    sweatpantshighheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Psalm 139 and the Corinthians passage just is a huge challenge. We do need each other to complete the 'community' as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this honest post...one we can all relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. It's amazing how much freedom and joy there is in quitting the comparison game and being the best me for His glory that I can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl you've done it again. Totally encouraged me :) I love Psalm 139. This post is beautiful, as are you! And I LOVE the guitar pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love emily's book. it was so good for me. great post, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the sweet encouragement. you're right.. why are some gifts valued more than others?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Interestingly enough I wrote about something along the same lines on Monday on my blog. I have always sang, and God has really blessed me with this gift, but recently He has really pressed upon me and laid a desire in my heart to sing for His glory! And I'm so excited to be on this path. New follower by the way. We look like we may have some things in common. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha, I was just about to ask you if you played guitar! This is such a wonderful message! You have a gift from the Lord to inspire people through blogging :) Thank you friend. Love you! and love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. sooo lovely:) thanks for sharing! excited to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this post. I have really been working on finding my inner talents and have found a lot of great words of wisdom in Scott Edmund Miller's latest book, "The User's Guide to Being Human: The Art and Science of Self." The book has helped me to understand that every human (including me) has a special gift. Thanks to your post I am going to focus more on finding my inner gift and stop playing the comparison game.
    http://usersguidetobeinghuman.com/

    ReplyDelete