Image Map

Monday 16 April 2012

{On my heart} mondays. [Struggles]

 
A dear friend and I were having a conversation this week about why difficult situations happen to people who seem to be truly trying to live for the Lord.
Why is it that if you are trying to glorify Him, suddenly there are things like job loss, home loss, poor health and things totally out of your control.
So I was totally in awe of the Lord when He used Sunday's sermon to speak to me about some things on that same topic.

I Love it when that happens.
When He chooses to reveal Himself to me responding to some pondering thought or question.


Our pastor was preaching on Genesis 50. 
(The church as a whole has spent the last year and some walking through the entire book of Genesis. It has been quite the journey and so thought-provoking.)
I love our pastor's gift for taking a passage I have heard time and time again and shedding new light on something I hadn't thought about before. Same passages, but fresh perspective or new thoughts to ponder. Such a blessing.


Anyway...we were looking at Joseph's life and how he walked through A LOT of difficult situations in his life which probably caused him to question God's sovereignty. Joseph spent 13 years in prison, yet we see his character is full of trust in the Lord. I'm sure he wondered about whether God really did have great plans for him. But as we read, the Lord definitely did! Joseph was a man of integrity who loved the Lord, during the hardships and once he is placed in a position of authority.


Our pastor then pointed out, that if you are living a life sold out for the Lord. Trying desperately to love those around you and serve your community. Of course difficult things are going to happen in your life. Because satan HATES you
You are on his 'hit-list' because you are dangerous to him.
He doesn't want to see God's kingdom on earth.
He wants us to be selfish, seek after destructive behaviour and hurt others/ourselves.
So we will be in battle if we are seeking to live a life for God.
That is the reality.

We are not promised an easy life because we love the Lord.
We are promised the opposite actually.


'For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, 
so also our comfort abounds through Christ.'
{2 Corinthians 1:5}


'Then he said to them all:  
“Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves 
and take up their cross daily and follow me.'
{Luke 9:23} 




Although we are not promised an easy life, as 2 Corinthians 1:5 shows we are given comfort from the Lord. He promises us that He has wonderful plans for us, even through all this suffering.
How is that possible?
I can't even begin to comprehend how our God can take what I intend for evil when I hurt someone and make it for their good. Yet that's what He does.


'You intended to harm me, 
but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, 
the saving of many lives.'
Genesis 50:20 



What I felt the Lord saying to me this weekend, is that it is a good thing to be experiencing trials at times. 
Though they may be hard, they grow us. They strengthen our faith.
They also show signs of good spiritual health in these situations.
While we are struggling, we are in the battle.
(The battle that has already been won.)
He works these things for good. Even if we don't see it for a time.


The victory is the Lord's.
(Sorry for the jumble of random thoughts.)
Hope it is encouraging at least.

Much Love,
 

Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. God is so faithful to grow us and to walk with us through trials. Thanks for sharing. It is so cool to hear about what God is teaching other believers. =)
    Alesha <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how GOD is able to use it all for His Glory and the good of all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ugly struggles are a sign that we are on the right path. So wonderful to know that God's right there with us through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen!! What a powerful word!! I needed this one.

    So nice to meet you♥


    Have a blessed day today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good! I've been learning a lot about this lately, too...even in the middle of what seems like a never ending pit, God is bigger and he can be trusted even if we don't clearly see what's going on. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Joseph's life is such a wonderful example of showing how even when we can't see it, God is completely in control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love you. I have been going through a lot of trials this year...but I constantly have to remind myself of all the blessings that have come out out it and the good that I have yet to see! Thank you for this lovely post a very cold, windy, and dreary Monday morning for me... :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a good word in due season....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes...no trial is pleasant at the time. But praise the Lord for the sanctification that comes through his refining of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your post! I found myself wondering the same thing the past couple weeks. Trials are a good thing, James 1:2-4 with trials in life you always desire Him more.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally agreed. Anything you can do to UP the kingdombof God is a threat to Satans plan. He hates God therefor we are on his blacklist.
    The awesome thing though, is WE win! Jesus already won. If God before us who can be against us? Praise God, we Win!!! :) woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are so many rich and profound truths in Genesis. And it seems you have mined some for us here, L. I join you in being totally blown away by God's ability to turn our suffering into something beautiful and good. Thanks for the good word!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think for me, recognizing that I am on Satan's hit list is so important. It takes the pressure of me and give me courage to stand up and be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW Just fell in love with these pic's !!!

    I have a May photo a day challenge coming up!! I hope you join in the fun!!!!
    http://sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com/2012/04/re-do-may-photo-challenge.html
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bachmeyer-Photography/159347214154880

    ReplyDelete
  15. It does seem like bad things happen to good people, which is frustrating, but a part of life. You are right what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful post, girl! We went through a really rough couple of years from 2008-2010 (job loss) and we had a lot of days where we questioned what God was doing. But we grew so close to Him in that time! Thanks for this, and for linking up! Much love! ox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this post! We are going through the book of John at our church. Some of the same issues are discussed - about trials and growing closer to the Lord through them. It's shown how struggles are necessary to grow and mature in Christ and to be relatable to others. It's enlightened my heart 1,000-fold. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete