Image Map

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Joy in Storms.




The natural flow of life, 
the ups & downs
are all a wonderful part of what shapes us and moulds us. 


'And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to his purpose.'
{Romans 8:28}


A wise pastor once told me, during a time of great difficulty in my life,
 to pray that God would make me content with the trials in my life.
For those trials although difficult, were teaching me and growing me SO much.
To really see those challenges as a refining process.
To understand that comfortable should not be my goal in life.


'Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,  
whenever you face trials of many kinds,  
 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.   
Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, 
not lacking anything.'
{James 1:2-4} 


This can be such a hard concept when you are are in the midst of struggles and difficult situations.
I was hurt this past week by the action of another. 
My natural reaction was to try and hurt them back.
But as I have continued to pray and release it to God, the feelings of anger & bitterness have disappeared instead of taking root.
I have been able to respond lovingly in several situations despite previously wanting to hurt them in response.


This could only have been the Lord in my life.


Even though nothing is resolved in this situation or even remotely close to how I wish it would be, I find myself seeing good. Seeing an awareness of how to truly love others and deal with conflict. I feel the Lord continually speaking to me about these things.


How to be genuine.
Speak truth in Love.
Pour myself out for others.
Even when the response hurts.


I am continually pointed back to the cross.
Then so thankful.


I have had my eyes opened to see how Christ loves me even when my responses to Him are hurtful.
How much He still loves me.
He never gives up on me.
He continues to care.
How He loves.


 'Love is patient, love is kind. 
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking,
 it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.....'
{1 Cor 13:4-8} 



My flesh hates this lesson because most of my life, I have graciously had friendship reciprocated.
Given love to others and had it given back.
And the older I get, the more I am learning this is a beautiful gift.
We can't control how people choose to treat us in return.




We shouldn't give love only to get it back in return.
This is a hard concept especially if like me, you like to be liked and treated nicely in return for love you give to others. 
But it's totally self-seeking to love in this way.
The only person I am truly loving in that situation is myself, because I want to be loved by others. That's my motivation for my actions.
Not genuine love for others.


I'm not saying we need to be doormats and continually hurt by friendships which are unhealthy. 
But we should really pray for those people. As well as keep our hearts open to relationship in the future should things be different
Continue to do whatever the Lord asks of us in order to pursue healthy relationship.
 Only with the Lord's help will this be possible.
Because it truly is SO hard.





May we continue to see our differences as beautiful expressions of God's grace rather than an excuse to not try and get along. 
Or conclude we are too different to make the effort.


I want to remember that although they are a sinner.
I am too.
That I am loved by God.
They are too.
And we are called to love as He does.


'Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. 
Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.  
This is how God showed his love among us: 
He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 
 This is love: not that we loved God, 
but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  
Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  
No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, 
God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.' 
{1 John 4:7-12}




I don't know the details of your life situations, just like there are only one or two who know the details of mine......but know that I am cheering you on in your trials, girls! 
If we were having an intimate conversation, I would encourage you to keep pursuing the Lord.
Keeping seeking for His heart for others! 
Keep wanting that sacrificial love for others, even when its hard.
 Keep wanting Christ to be known. 


Life is about more than comfort.
There is great joy to be found in seeing good in a storm.


 




 Much Love,
L
  



Photo credit: Louise Randall (unless otherwise stated) 
Pictures of me and my besties in college.

--------------------------------

I have decided to discontinue the {On My Heart} mondays series because with a few exceptions, 
most of my posts have taken on this tone.
So my whole blog is now sharing my heart & the things the Lord is teaching me.
Hope it encourages. 

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I am trying to be content with certain things in life right now and really trying to remember that God knows what is ultimately best for me. I needed this reminder, so thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. Hirt is such a difficult thing to deal with. God is faithful to supply what we need to love others. So true. So encouraging. Thank you!
    Alesha <3
    P.S. if you ever want to link up one of your posts, I am attempting to host a "peek inside my journal link party" every Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post and very inspirational message about friendship and relationship with God and his words. Dropping by from Titus 2sdays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful narrative and beautiful day. And I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful post, again, L. :) you're so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete