Image Map

Thursday 8 November 2012

Forever Changed.


Hey there! My name is Elise and I blog over at Forever Changed


My journey really began almost a year ago when I traveled over to Africa for the first time. Long story short, God broke my heart for the people of Rwanda. Before I had even touched American soil I had made up my mind that I would be moving to Rwanda, and four months later I did just that. 
I have now been living in Rwanda for almost six months. These six months have been the most challenging, but also most rewarding, time of my life. God has stretched and pushed me in every way, and though it was not always fun, I am so thankful. I thank God everyday for this opportunity. I am thankful that He cares enough about me to give me a purpose, and that this is my story. 

Since moving to Rwanda I have had the opportunity to go on a safari, bungee jump, white water raft down the nile, I even became a mom, and still, God had something in store for me that would prove to be my biggest adventure yet
You see, I came to Rwanda with the intention of working in an orphanage. I thought that would be Gods plan for me since He has gifted me in that area. Well, God had a completely different plan in mind, and His plans are always better are they not? I no longer wanted to be self-seeking, but to truly be Gods servant; His hands and feet and love the people of Rwanda in whatever way He directed. So, I relinquished my plans and said "use me," and He did just that.  
In September God began directing me to open a business, something I never wanted or intended to do with my life, but wanting to be obedient I said "OK" and started down that path. He began to open doors making His will become my reality. 
God broke my heart for 25 men, their stories and their circumstances. They didn’t have jobs and were doing everything they could just to survive. These men aren't lazy or unable, they want to work, they want to learn, they want to provide but until now have been unable to do so and as a result of suffered.
Opening a business offers these men an opportunity that is sustainable and a chance. A chance to learn, a chance to provide for themselves and their families, and chance to give back to the neighbors in need, a chance to make a difference, and so, His Imbaraga was born. 


His Imbaraga crafts hand-made leather products. We have only been up and running for two weeks so but currently we are producing wallets, passport holders, laptop cases and are messenger bags. Once our production picks up we will open a website and begin selling. A portion of every sale will go into the feeding program. So not only does His Imbaraga provide for 25 men but it will also start and support a weekly feeding program for local village families. We will be able to offer people in need a meal and show them the love of Jesus in the process. 


From the beginning I have said this business is Gods. He is the boss. He is the one making this possible. And because of that I want this business to honor Him in every way, giving back all the glory to Him, and Him alone.
The truth is I could never run a business. I have never had an interest in owning a business. I have never taken a single business class in school. I know nothing about finances. I am an introvert and avoid being a leader. I am not creative in the ways of designing. I am not fit to run a business in Rwanda, yet here I am. I have learned that God did not choose me because I am qualified to run a business, I believe He choose me because I am unqualified. My weaknesses allow Gods power to rest on me.

“Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses” 2 Corinthians 12:9


*If you are wanting to support His Imbaraga you can find out how to do so here. *
*All photo credit goes to my incredibly talented roommate*

{Elise can also be found on twitter: @e_coop57}
{Please head over and leave comments on Elise's Blog HERE}

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. First and foremost, I LOVE what you are doing Elise!! It's so exciting doing God's work! My parents were missionaries for years as a kid, and I had some truly great experiences out of it!
    Second, HOLY CRAP white water rafting in the Nile looks terrifying!! That second picture just about killed me. Totally one of your newest followers sweety. :)

    ReplyDelete