Image Map

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Cultivating a Quiet Spirit.


(This is a huge topic I have been learning about so please don't regard this as my complete thoughts on unpacking the 1 peter 3 passage, these are just some of the thing the Lord has been teaching me this past week)



I have never been a quiet person by nature. In fact through grade school, I was often loud, bubbly and enjoyed hanging out in large groups of people laughing and goofing around. I was probably often the center of attention too. I may have even been obnoxious to some people, but honestly I never cared at the time. 

As I have got older, I have felt the Lord teaching me a lot about femininity, true beauty and bring several verses about women having a quiet and gentle spirit to my attention. 



'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.'
[1 peter 3:3-4]




I read this verse multiple times growing up and even heard youth pastors, and other speakers preach about how it is about being quiet before the Lord and not literal in meaning. 
But I'm beginning to think that this isn't true. 



I have many different friends with very different personalities and while some are naturally quiet and shy others are outspoken and loud. The friends which encourage me the most and whom I can easily have deep meaningful conversations are those who seem very gentle and quiet in spirit. They have a stillness and gracefulness about themselves which always seems to create a welcoming environment when in their presence. 
They seem to have mastered the art of social grace. They are mindful of those around them and always looking to include others in conversations. They know how to keep a conversation interesting with women younger, their own age or even older. They are polite and never rude. 



I don't think this is just a personality thing.



None of us is naturally born that way, selfless and others focused. If you are anything like me, I have a tendency to be naturally loud, opinionated and possibly even forget others as I can be too busy sharing jokes with good friends in a large group setting. I am feeling that claiming this is just my personality is actually really selfish. I have felt the Lord convicting me that labeling these patterns of behavior as 'personality' I am actually making an excuse for what it really is.
Sin.



Even if I don't intentionally mean to leave others out and exclude them at times. I still am selfish when I put myself having a good time in a group setting above making that one person who doesn't know anyone feel welcome. Yet that is my default behavior when with a group of friends, I feel its my right to just relax and have fun. 


'Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.'
[Philippians 2:3-4]
Social grace seems to be a dying art. As young ladies we are no longer taught how to be a good hostess (unless perhaps you are from the south, then I envy you for being taught correctly) or how to keep conversations interesting and flowing without periods of awkwardness. 
Our cultures progression seems to have moved to being tolerant of others and accepting bad patterns of behavior as being socially acceptable. It is now normal to see a girl burping, telling inappropriate jokes and sitting in very unladylike ways in a social setting. We also tell inside jokes and laugh with groups of people and don't explain them to those who perhaps weren't there, which can be extremely uncomfortable for those outsiders.


The Lord has been showing me it simply isn't Christlike to behave in this way. It isn't cultivating that inner beauty or quiet and gentle spirit. It is justifying myself and ignoring my bad behavior. 

There is beauty to be seen in a young lady who can have meaningful conversations with women much older than her or be polite and include those who appear to be outsiders.
At first it has felt totally unnatural for me to do these things, this is where I am currently at.

But I am a lover of stories like Anne of Green Gables and Little Women. I admire how refined the young ladies are. The girls are able to have meaningful conversations without getting caught up in rudeness about others. (Not everything about their behavior is perfect as obviously there is immaturity in everyone when we are young)


I am just beginning to feel that developing a gentle and quiet spirit is important in learning to love others selflessly. I firmly believe that such a spirit can be cultivated and will be when we are intimately in relationship with Jesus. We will become better listeners when we are learning how to be others focused in social settings and open up more opportunities for meaningful conversations when our focus is shifted.

Perhaps I will even be less inclined to seek to entertain those around me and more able to encourage them through this behavioral change. 

What are your thoughts?


Much Love,
L


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. You're right. This is encouraging AND convicting. Most of the time I'm able to be ladylike, but I'm another one who talks too much, in every situation! I'm learning...it's getting better. But interrupting is one of my worst habits.

    One of my biggest encouragements to cultivate a ladylike manner is actually the books I've read! Stories like "Eight Cousins" and "Rose in Bloom" (both by Louisa May Alcott; I LOVE your photo choices :) ) depict a young lady who, by her actions and attitude, is able to encourage gentlemanliness in the men and boys in her life, and whose presence is calming, welcoming and delightful. Other books that have encouraged me in this are "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett (sp?), the Elsie Dinsmore series by Martha Finley (although in her earlier years Elsie was pretty works-righteous), of course the Anne books, :) "Jane Eyre," and anything Jane Austen (but it's important to emulate the characters of high quality--not, for example, Lydia in "Pride and Prejudice"). :)

    And then there are days when my father-in-law says I'm like the Proverbs 31 woman, like he did last week, and I thank him and fight the tears of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I never connected having a gentle and quiet spirit to being welcoming and gracious in conversation. Thank you for pointing that out to me!

    One thing we go over every couple of months in youth group is that it is important to include everyone and make them feel welcome. So if we share stories, memories or inside jokes, we always work to keep others in the loop who might not get it. We never want anyone to feel excluded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this scripture and those movies!! we have so much to learn!! thank you for this beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely written, I believe you hit the nail on the head. I personally am somewhere in the middle with regards to temperament, sometimes outgoing and other times not saying anything. I'm finding that I'm actually getting worse in regards to social graces now though. I'm not sure if it's because I stay at home alot of the time and don't have alot of friends or if it's because I try to be very aware of what I say. (I decided I didn't want to continue to be the talker, I could talk and talk and talk and never listened) So it's almost like I stopped one bad habit and never replaced it with good ones. I will have to contemplate on this more and ask Holy Spirit for help...as always lol! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post :) I wrote something sort of similar on my blog a little while back..more about modesty, but still a good bit related. Personality wise, I learn towards the shy/quiet, but can be loud in a close intimate group of friends or family. Sooo good to be reminded of this :)

    And who doesn't love Anne-with-an-E and all the other great stories/movies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this! This has been on my heart as well. I don't mean to, but I get loud and super-talkative with friends. Afterward, I think "Why do I talk so much?" I think you are right- this isn't about personalities. Obviously this will be harder for some than others, but important to work on nevertheless. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement to better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely relate to this topic. I tend to be loud and a bit self-centered and God is working on my heart in this regard. God has placed that Philippians passage on my heart multiple times. Thank you for being so honest!
    Blessings,
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kindred spirits that is what we are! I love this post. and completely agree with every part...I can't even begin to put it all into words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting... I've never really thought about it in this way before. I am naturally a quiet person and despise small talk and big groups. I like that you clarified that you aren't talking about just personality traits though. I think we all struggle to act in a Christ-like manner in one area or another. Thanks for linking up to Thrive @ Home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post and beautiful blog. I do find that when I am slow to speak, that I can better gather my self and my thoughts and the art of grace flows so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Insightful post. Thank you for sharing!
    So many seem to think you either have it or you don't, when it comes to having a gentle and quiet spirit. I like your choice of words in the title: cultivating. That is exactly what it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was younger... back in the '50s and '60s... I was exactly what you described about the "today" girls who tell inappropriate jokes and are unladylike. All these years later, having come to the Lord 46 years ago, one of the hard issues is that what I was doing was totally unacceptable and highly annoying to many, many people, is now a "normal" aspect in many places. It makes my heart cringe, b/c I know where that can lead, what it can do to hearts and minds, both the personal ones and the surrounding ones. I'm still a "rowdy" woman, but usually it's God-focused, and that truly makes a difference

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard this subject written about in such a thoughtful and beautiful way. I have been thinking a lot lately about this very thing: the dying "art of social graces"- but haven't been able to articulate my feelings as you have here. Thank you for sharing this and many blessings as you seek to cultivate that "quiet and gentle spirit".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep. I googled "cultivating a 'quiet spirit'" but so far am not getting results that match the conviction I'm feeling in my Spirit - your blog does match, but I was hoping to find insight in how to change.

    I love talking - I love ranting. I will talk for HOURS about everything I can think of - and it is so fun and feels so good - but I KNOW from my study of Scripture that I'm in sin. But I don't know any other way of being. My mind is always racing around about things that don't have an eternal weight of glory - and my writing and conversations seem to express this.

    Honestly, I'm tired of being this way - but when I try to not talk I feel like I might explode - talking things out over and over was always my way of coping with my problems in life - venting about this person or this situation to anyone who will listen.

    - but it's just not Godly. It's not honorable - there's tons of scriptures that call me a fool for doing it, and that express harsh consequences for my behavior.

    I'm not sure how to change because it's compulsive - it's like an addiction. I fasted from talking (out loud) for a week straight once and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do - I would put tape on my mouth to try to stop myself from talking - and It was emotionally very difficult.

    But that experience only scratches the surface - barely - of what it means to have a quiet spirit. My spirit isn't quiet. I'm a clamorous woman - and rather than continue to make excuses for myself - I want to change. If I want to be like Christ - if I want to be able to minister to people - I must learn how to be quiet. Not only outwardly - but inwardly. Deeply.

    Like you, I'm only at the beginning of this journey though.

    ReplyDelete