Image Map

Thursday 19 September 2013

The Busy.


I have been battling a lot lately with an aspect of my personality. It's not actually a bad trait and can often be seen as a really good thing. In fact reading through Proverbs this morning, I realised it is considered wise at times. It allows me to be productive and to get things done.


You see I am a perfectionist at times, a Type-A personality. Well most of the time don't look at the insides of some of our closets. I like to make lots of lists just to be able to cross off items, I also feel like I haven't achieved my goals for the day if I don't make it through the entirety of a list I made. 


But that's just it. 
They are my own goals. 
No-one else put these expectations on me. 
Although I'm pretty sure the hubby may need dinner at some point and clean clothes. 


Some days when I made it through only a handful of items on my list, I feel like a failure.
But I'm the one telling myself that.
So I am learning to make fewer lists. Or at least to be more realistic with how much I feel should be done on a given day. For example, cleaning our entire apartment, doing multiple large loads of laundry, completing a craft project, going shopping for groceries and running several errands may be a little optimistic. 


So while this trait is something any employer might love....hey I'm the girl who loves to meet those deadlines, it doesn't always cultivate relationships well.
My sweet hubby is not very Type-A and being married has been a beautiful refining process for me. Learning that there are so many ways to do things, to enjoy life.
While running errands for me energizes as I can cross items off on my list (anyone else with me?), to him running errands is extremely draining.


So what I have been learning is that being busy/productive is not always what is best. 
Some days need to be full of grace and quality time with others cultivating relationship.





Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I am a super busy body too. I like to plan, plan, plan my days away. The Lord is DEFINITELY revealing to me that this might not always be best for me though. I think sometimes I avoid things with my "busyness." I love how He refines us to always becoming exactly how He designed us to be, busy or not :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Exactly!! Glad to not be alone on this friend! =)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this! This is similar for me and my man, I love to make lists and don't feel happy that there are things that have been on them for days (ok actually months). That's one thing I love about him though, his MUCH more relaxed attitude. So I need to learn to accept a little bit of that, and spend more time on our relationship rather than all things I've made up written on "the list".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rach! Haha yes!!! It is such a refining process =) But its good all the same!!! =)

      Delete