Image Map

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Letting go of the Good to Choose God's Best.


{Sweet Ladies Erin & Rachael}


So I have avoided writing about this topic because it has been heavy on my heart. Anyone else notice I do that a lot! Guess I like to finish processing before I write about things and make sure they are appropriate to share. 


I learned so much last year from the many sessions at the Influence Conference. I think it took me a full six months to process some of the information from the life tracks I attended. In making much of the gospel online and discretion in what to sharing when writing and when to remain silent. It was such an experience to be able to attend a blogging conference and I have many friendships that have continued to deepen as a result of attending. So I am so thankful the Lord opened the door for me to attend last year. 


This year however I battled with deciding whether to go. Last year I was drawn by several speakers who were going to be there and shared their heart for several topics and knew I would learn a lot from their wisdom. So once I started praying about going, I never had hesitations that going was the right decision with regard to what I would learn. 
But this year was different, while it still looked amazing and I knew I would learn from the sessions if I chose to go, my heart wasn't in it. I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't exciting me like the conference was last year. 
And don't hear me saying it was because it isn't good this year, because I have no doubt the Lord is going to do amazing things this upcoming weekend.
I just felt Him saying it wasn't for me this year.


{Erin, Kerrie & Julie

I had started saving to be able to go again this year after attending last year. So the money to attend was all saved and in a bank account. So I am not saying I am not attending based on a money issue at all. 
This was me prayerfully considering whether to go and I was getting a red light. 
You know those moments when you feel burdened about making a decision to do something. Your spirit is not at rest and you can't figure out why because the thing you are debating is good. Potentially really good.


None of this was making any sense until about a month or a little more ago. I was still going back and forth about whether the Lord was leading me to attend, whether He was calling me to attend a different conference or I should be asking about both. I have so many sweet friends who were amazing listeners and helped me figure out what I was hearing about this decision. Pointing me to truth and encouraging me to work through issues that arose as a result. 
Then a month ago, our church announces an opportunity to get involved with the high schoolers in our church. Something which has been on my heart for years is being involved in high school girls lives. But due to various reasons, the door has not been open for a while now for me to serve in this way. So our pastor announces this service trip, to be able to go on the high school retreat and serve in the kitchen. Getting to meet some of the students in the process, being able to serve and see whether the Lord is reopening this door. I even discussed this with our student worker, who informed me there is a huge need with the freshman girls. Friends, I could have cried! Because I finally have the time, there is a need and the opportunity to be involved. God is opening the door this time.


Here was the amazing part. The retreat is this upcoming weekend, the exact same time as the Influence Conference. And my heart jumped and leaped at the opportunity to explore the possibility of being involved with the freshman girls at our church. 
And I felt the Lord asking what my decision was. Did I want to go to something which was good or did I want to choose something He had that was potentially better? Something I had been waiting on for years! The other kicker, this weekend was fully funded....all I had to do was be willing to go. Compared to the cost of attending the conference in Indianapolis.


I was floored friends. Because while my heart is heavy that I won't be able to attend and hug some of the sweetest ladies I have ever met, I know I will be exactly where the Lord wants me. Getting grungy and sweaty alongside my husband in the depths of a kitchen while we serve the students in our community and explore the possibility of investing in their lives. 




So it saddens me that I won't be among those women gathering in Indianapolis this weekend to learn more about how to share Jesus with those we meet online. Know that I love each of you attending and will be praying the Lord works in your hearts this weekend as you open up to Him and what He wants to teach you. He is going to do incredible things through the leaders and community leaders who are all going with open willing hearts to love on you ladies and the fellowship you will have will be a blessing for long after the conference has finished and you return to your normal lives. 


I am praying that the Lord will open a door in the future to attend another conference. So who knows, maybe I will see you in Indianapolis next year? Maybe before....

Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. I know how hard it can be to just sit and wait for God to reveal His purpose but when He does it never fails to blow my mind, even the timing of it is always perfect. And it's wonderful that we are able to reflect back on those moments, whether just to praise His name or remember to trust in Him when going through another waiting period. So happy the you have received this opportunity to serve the freshmen girls. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elise! YES!!! =) =) What truth your words hold right there! So thankful for your friendship girl!! =) You are a gem!!

      Delete
  2. I love this post, L! I am so grateful that God opened up this opportunity for you to serve with the girls at your church! I am sad not to be going to Influence as well but I know that my time and money is invested better where I am right now getting settled in at school, church and work. I know that last year God really used it to teach me about transparency and community and I'm so grateful that you were there as a shoulder to cry on and a sweet voice of encouragement. :)

    Praying for you this weekend at the retreat! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely sweet friend!! =) =) Awww I can't wait to see you again girl!!! =) =) Big Hugs!!! =) Love you SO much!! =)

      Delete
  3. I attended a sermon about this once. How sometimes we are so focused on what we want that we can't see that God has something better than we can imagine for us. It's an amazing feeling when something like this comes along. I'm happy that an opportunity opened up for you with this ministry. I know it'll be a blessing to you and the girls you will be serving with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laila, those words are SO sweet & so encouraging!! =) =) What a blessing you are!! He hasn't quite opened doors in the way I thought He would, but I still feel I was totally where I needed to be that weekend =) Much Love!!

      Delete
  4. What an awesome, and encouraging story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachel!! =) That means a lot! =)

      Delete
  5. Hello! I just wanted to stop by and tell you that you were nominated for Best Spiritual/Religion Blogger at Hello Lovely Awards and Conference! Congrats! Today is that last day for open nominations so please let us know if there are any blogs or bloggers you would like to nominate http://www.hellolovelyawards.com

    P.S. Thank you for all your nominations already!

    Congrats!
    Lacy
    Hello Lovely Awards and Conference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Lacy, this is so sweet!!! =) Thanks girl!! =)

      Delete
  6. This is so, so sweet, L! Not sure how I missed this gem of a post, but I am SO amazed at how our God not only leads us the the exact right place, but gives us so much joy about it! I am praising Him with you about the opportunity He brought into your life! And I just can't wait to give you the biggest hug when I eventually get to meet you in person :)

    Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no worries girl! Things have been crazy with the 31 days series, I know you have been busy with that just like me =) =)
      Oh absolutely! I can't believe the joy He gave me on the decision not to go and how He let me see it all through social media anyway (no small feat since I was almost 100% certain we wouldn't have internet that weekend!)! Oh a HUGE hug is coming your way girl!! =) Much Love!!

      Delete