Image Map

Monday 14 January 2013

Telling our Stories.

{Via} (edited by me)

My heart breaks as I watch the opening scenes. An unwanted child, the image of him crying himself to sleep after overhearing yet another family doesn't want him in their home. Seeing him wander the streets alone at night. Finding it unbearable that his idea of a good evening is finding a woman leaving her laundry unattended at the launderette so he can have clean clothes the following day. 
I rejoice in seeing a women obediently open her home after seeing a teenager in need. I laugh at how he forms friendships with their children and shares jokes with the family. 
I feel deeply the story, with all its ups, successes and cry with the sadder parts. It moves me, provokes me to think about the struggles of inner city kids, possibly even going on but a mile from my own home. 
We watched the Blind Side. 


I couldn't help but recognize how the Lord must have been beautifully wrecking the lives of this family. How their story came from obedience to what the Lord was leading.
How they could have just ignored that small nudge and minded their own business, leaving a teenager's well-being to someone else. 
How they would have missed out on so much if they had. 
I wonder how many people have been touched by this one family's story, how God has spoken to people through their example. 
This is why we tell our stories. Our testimonies.


We share how God is at work in us, what He is breaking our hearts for and how we are struggling through this process of having our hearts broken. Through our struggles and victories as we do life together, we see a picture of redemption and grace when we seek after Jesus.
We see Him in the mess of our lives. In the mess of the lives of others. 


Most of the story which inspired the Blind Side movie probably felt like a mess to the family that walked through those trials and victories. The challenges they faced probably felt like mountains at times. 
Yet they didn't keep quiet about it all.
They shared their story, how God was at work in their family, and I am sure He is using it. 


Each of us has a story, because each of us has God at work in our individual situations. Through broken relationships, marriages, parenting, struggling with singleness, struggling with eating-disorders. Our own individual situation, our own mess. 
And we each have a choice. We can choose to be vulnerable, to live in community with others and share how God is at work in the mess. Or we can be silent. 



It is totally scary to put ourselves out there and share our stories. Often there will be people who criticize us for doing it. 
But lets keep shining for Him. Lets not keep silent about how He is at work. 
Because that is how He can use us to touch lives. 


This sweet spirit is so inspiring to me in sharing how God is at work and still protecting sacredness within her family. She continually says she is just sharing her story. 
And God continually uses it to touch others. How you can see Jesus at work in her family. It is beautiful. 


I may even share more of my own story later this week. 
What do you guys think?

Much Love,
L

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Just loved the Blindside.

    I met a woman at church who fosters young babies. And twice she has had the child until they are over 15 months. She reaches a point of going for adoption and the door slams. She is at the crossroads once again. I admire people who can put their love out so pointedly and know there could be pain (in the offering).

    Sharing our stories works the same way. But not only do we need to share our stories - we need to share each others' stories - like the Blindside so others get to experience the same and learn to share themselves too.

    I love, "We can choose to be vulnerable, to live in community with others and share how God is at work in the mess. Or we can be silent."

    Blessings,
    linking in from Gracelaced Monday.
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  2. L, tell us your story. And I might even tell mine!

    Love you, sweet friend!!
    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh L! I loved that movie, but I never saw it as an example of why your story is important. =) This was such a beautiful, encouraging, and inspiring post. It really confirmed in my heart some things I have been thinking about with my blog. I can't wait to hear more of your story! Thank you for sharing your heart, dear sister!
    Blessings,
    Alesha <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a powerful movie-a story meant to be shared. Thanks for this reminder that God wants us to to share out own stories...that's we are called to do-to go to the ends of the earth to share and seek those who He calls His children. Beautiful blog! Look forward to following from Monday Meetup-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you of sharing with us. It truly is heart breaking to see others feeling totally unwanted and rejected. May our hearts be open for these ones!
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! We all have unique stories to tell...and they only mean something to US if we don't share them. I think it was Anne Lamott who said that writing means setting someone else free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How often I want to throw up a wall to my story. Today I'm in my own community and the bank teller says something to me in regards to something she read on my blog. It almost catches my breath. It's not just readers behind a screen that I don't know, but the lady behind the counter. She knows my mess. I'm eyeball to eyeball with someone who knows my mess. My first reaction is to shut it all down.It's getting too personal. Then I remember it's not about me. My mess isn't really about me. It's about Christ, and how I can thru my mess reflect him? Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete