Image Map

Monday 3 September 2012

My Heart on Media.


From Twilight to the Hunger Games, to the Bachelorette to 50 shades of grey....
Everywhere we look, everyone is talking about something related to media. When we live in a media-driven, fast-paced culture that consumes everything on display, that is bound to happen.
But where do we draw the line for where we as Christians stop participating? 
How do we live a Set Apart life and honor God with this area of our lives?
This is not a topic that I particularly wanted to tackle, or ever thought I would on this blog but since I am feeling that all-familiar nudge, I will obey. Mainly because that is why I share my thoughts here...for others to read, to be encouraged, to share what I am learning....in the hope that we might grow to love Jesus more together.
So bear with me on this topic. I do not have this all figured out myself.
Media.


It is extremely easy when discussing this as friends to get caught up in a conversation about legalism vs 'being relevant to today's culture' in order to reach others. 
But I feel it is still a topic each of us must talk about and wrestle with even if we don't feel comfortable with it. 
I'm still trying to figure out why when this topic is first brought up I get that all-familiar defense feeling about what I watch, maybe because I don't like having my toes stepped on. I don't like feeling as though someone is telling me I shouldn't watch a particular TV show or listen to certain music. Do I feel judged? Or do I feel guilty?

You will not find me writing a list of do's and don'ts here saying what is appropriate to watch when you love Jesus.
Because this is an area where I feel each person must be personally convicted about what is appropriate.
I also feel the root of this issue lies with something else.
Purity.


Whatever we put into our minds through media, 
goes into our hearts and will come out in our lives. 
(Keep that in mind and use your own discretion)


Have you ever watched a scene in a movie that was a little steamy, then couldn't get those images out of your mind and wished you had never watched it? (Or maybe that's just me) 
Wouldn't it be a whole lot better if we were a lot more careful about what we put before our eyes in the first place and then didn't have to worry about trying to erase or forget about those images?
Now some people really do have less trouble in some areas than others which is why I don't feel this is a list of Do's and Don'ts. For some people a boundary is put at movies which contain kisses of any kind, this could be a personal stumbling block for them. Whereas someone else could find kisses to be ok as long as they aren't super steamy make-out sessions. It really is an individual thing. But don't be blind about where your own stumbling blocks are! Only you are able to figure those out and use your own judgement to stay away from them. 


The good news is that the Lord can erase those memories. Psalm 103:11-12 is such a wonderful reminder:




'For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
    so great is his love for those who fear him; 
as far as the east is from the west,
    so far has he removed our transgressions from us.'




It may sound a little strange to think of media consumption as a purity issue, but purity is not just saving oneself for marriage, modesty and nothing else.
Purity also affects our minds, and is still relevant even after marriage. 
So living a set-apart life in love with Jesus is going to affect our media consumption just like it affects our views on dating, modesty and sex outside of marriage. 


'Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, 
to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—
this is your true and proper worship. 
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, 
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. 
Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is —
his good, pleasing and perfect will.'
[Romans 12:1-2]


I feel the Lord has convicted me in this area of media consumption multiple times. 

Seeking to stand out and be different to others in the world because we have been transformed by the love of Jesus means that we will have different standards from friends in a lot of areas. Media included. 
If we never challenge our views on it and go with what everyone else is watching, playing, listening to......how do we portray that our lives have changed because of Him?


If we look the same as those who don't love Jesus, I don't think we reach anyone.
(I even think we weaken our own witness in some ways because we don't seem any different)



Now the reason I don't want to discuss what is appropriate and what is not, is because this is for each person
to go before the Lord and seek His standards. Each person must be personally convicted about media and figure out what causes them to stumble. 
But some thoughts which I recently read were extremely helpful at tackling the topic of legalism on this issue and any other area where personal convictions occur (such as modesty). 


When we are personally convicted by the Lord about where our standards should be, it becomes very easy to put ourselves in the center of our thinking and see those with higher standards as being legalistic. We also view those with lower standards as being worldly. 
This mindset towards personal convictions is legalistic friends, because it assumes that we are better than others by doing something to earn favor before the Lord. Which is completely contrary to the Gospel. 
Acceptance and forgiveness are dealt with through Jesus Christ and not by our actions. 

Our obedience therefore comes from gratitude in the Gospel. 


'Legalism is seeking to achieve forgiveness from God
and acceptance by God through obedience to God. In other 
words, a legalist is anyone who behaves as if they can earn 
God's approval and forgiveness through personal performance.
~ C.J. Mahaney, The Cross Centered Life


The bible talks about being careful not to cause other believers to stumble who have weaker consciences or different standards. Since Paul mentions this in 1 Corinthians, I am sure that even in those days different believers were convicted about different things. For this reason I feel it is perhaps safe to assume that different Christians will be convicted in areas such as media and have different guidelines, but we should show respect to those who have higher standards and not cause them to stumble. We are to be loving each other in this way and not showing a lack of respect to our brothers and sisters in Christ who are weaker in this area. 


'Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.'
[1 Corinthians 8:9-13]





 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

{phil 4:7-8}


So sisters, I would urge you to think about the things you are placing before your eyes and seek the Lord's heart about what is appropriate for you to watch and absorb when it comes to media. Do not just merely go with the flow of what others are watching (even for wanting to feel up-to-date) without assessing the damage it may cause you. Let us keep aiming for purity and challenge each other with our convictions. I pray we might never condemn each other for having different personal convictions over these things and always demonstrate love to each other despite our differences.



Much Love,
L



Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. What a great post! I agree that purity should be first and foremost when watching and reading certain things so that....."Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or WHATSOEVER ye do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corin. 10:31. That is one verse I keep in my mind as well as others you have posted especially Phil. 4:7-8. Thank you for the encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beyond excellent post! i will be sharing this with my daughter, who has been asking a lot about purity lately. I knew it meant more than I was sharing but wasn't saying it as well as you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with a hearty Amen! You are so right on in everything you said and bless you for saying it! I am so glad I came by. I have a real problem with all my christian friends singing the praises of The Hunger Games. I don't get it. How can anyone find that kind of subject matter acceptable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, yes! i had to stop listening to music with swear words because it made me want to swear all the time. and there was a time that i cut out all my non-christian music because i had been listening to all of that - not that there's anything wrong with that, but i could see a definite difference in my attitude after i had been listening to it almost exclusively for months. i like to say that not only are every person's personal standards going to be different in this area, but they might be different in different seasons, too. love this, L!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more! It is so very important to listen to the Lord in these areas. He truly does seek to protect us, because He is such a loving Father and wants only the best for us! He knows what will cause us (as individuals) to stumble and always warns us. In those times I have gone against His warning and watched or read something anyways, I have always regretted it (and yes, had pictures in my head that I just wanted out). Great topic!! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So well said. This embodies proverbs 29:25 Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but the whoever trusts in the Lord will be kept safe. We need to look for His guidance and not man's...even if that man is a Christian. People think they know us, but only God really knows us and sees the heart. Thank you for this article I will take it to God for His direction. V I think you missed part of the point of the article and might want to read it again. It is so refreshing to read a nonlegalist Christian article about our choices in the world. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete