Image Map

Monday 18 February 2013

Heart Stirrings.


Hey sweet friends! So I have avoided writing on the topic of Valentines Day since I wasn't really sure what to say. I honestly I have also been avoiding talking about marriage on this space and the way in which the Lord wrote my love story because I have been afraid of upsetting so many single girls who may be struggling with discontentment. I remember being in that situation and really the last thing I want is for someone to interpret my joy as 'rubbing it in' over where God has you in your love story.

Yet, I also don't know if I am doing any single girls service by not talking about how the Lord scripted our story. Because while waiting one of the most precious things was hearing how others waited on the Lord for an answer on who He had for them, struggled through the trials while waiting but saw joy in the end, and hearing about how He had orchestrated a love story. Yes, there may have been a little tinge of jealousy. But at the end of the day, it was so encouraging to hear how someone else had waited on the Lord and watched Him fulfill His promise of having perfect plans. It gave hope knowing He had perfect plans for me also.



All that to say, my heart is in encouraging others in purity, waiting and pointing others to Jesus. Falling in love with Him and learning that He is your first love. At the same time, I don't want to be ungrateful for the beautiful love story He scripted in my life by not sharing it to encourage others. So if I do share I want you all to know my heart in this. To encourage you that our God is in the business of writing individual beautiful romances.
So maybe it is finally time to share our love story with you friends. I'm not planning on doing that this evening, but maybe in the near future I will share how I found myself married to my sweet husband in a story that couldn't have been written by anyone other than our God.

So all that said.

I wanted to share a little about Valentines Day. Not because its a special day, but I think that often these holidays have a way of reminding us how we should be cherishing relationships throughout the rest of the year. I totally agree that we should be loving our spouses and family members on a daily basis.
Yet I find my heart stirred on this 'special' occasions almost as though they serve as beautiful reminders to keep cherishing what we should be cherishing. How an anniversary, valentines day or birthday can remind us to see the blessing that another person is in our lives. How Christmas can point us to worship because of God's gift of His son. Something we should worship Him for daily, but Christmas serves as that wonderful reminder to help us, same for Easter when we focus on the Cross. So its not that these holidays are the only day we do these things, but at least for me they help my heart. Help me focus on what I should be focusing on, worshiping God and counting Blessings in life.

Our Valentines Day wasn't particularly eventful. But it was time where we could get dressed up, go out to dinner, enjoy seeing each other delight in little cards and gifts. And have that reminder that we should cherish each other. Whether its with a spouse or your family, its a great reminder to love one another and something we can do no matter what relationship status we are in.



Every year on Valentines Day I return to the same article written quite a few years ago now. I wanted to share my post from last year here again:


This is perhaps more of an {On My Heart} post, but since it is Valentines Day, I thought it appropriate to share an article I return to every February 14th since reading it a few years ago.
It was written by a wonderful Sister-in-Christ who shared what the Lord taught her while she was praying through her ideal husband.


Having written a similar list myself (when I was 16), I am a huge advocate of this idea. Being able to prayerfully consider what qualities you desire your husband to have (and even from yourself before you get married).
Then pray and ask the Lord to help grow your future husband in these ways.
When a guy then comes into your life and doesn't display these qualities, trust the Lord that this may not be the guy for you.
If he is, the Lord will show you.
I found this super helpful as it showed me any 'red flags' in a guy and helped keep my heart in the right place when meeting someone who I was taken with.


With that in mind, this sweet girl was praying through her list of qualities and felt that the Lord was answering her:


I prayed for a man committed to God.
Jesus smiled, “I and my Father are one.” John 10:30

I prayed for a man that would be a spiritual leader.
“I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No man cometh
to the Father, but by me.”  John 14:6

I prayed for a man of high standards and integrity.
 “He did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth.”  I Peter 2:22

I prayed for a man of the Word.
 “I am the living Word, and
I came to live with you.”  John 1:14

I prayed for a man that knew how to be a servant.
 “Jesus made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men.”  Philippians 2:7

I prayed for a man that was full of spiritual life.
“I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”  John 10:10

I prayed for a man of faith and prayer.
Then I watched with amazement as He went out and spend all night in prayer...for me!  Luke 6:12

I prayed for a man that would provide for my needs.
He not only fed the five thousand long ago, He also feeds me today! Mark 6:41, Philippians 4:19

I prayed for a man that would be the head of the home and a leader. Someone to look up to spiritually.
 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”  Isaiah 55:9

I prayed for a man that knew how to love others...even the unpleasant outcasts.
Jesus replied, “In that while you were all yet sinners [the lowest outcast],
I died for you.”  Romans 5:8

I prayed for someone that would help me walk closer to God.
And the more I got to know him, the closer I drew to God.  Psalm 23, Matthew 6:33

 {Adapted from The Perfect Valentine, Set Apart Girl Magazine, Feb 2009, Used with Permission}




What a beautiful reminder sweet friends, that all we desire in a relationship can be found in our first love.
In Christ alone. He alone satisfies.
Not even an earthly relationship compares.
Life is not more satisfying once you have a husband in your life.
He alone satisfies our every need.

Valentines Day is a day we can spend remembering our Love for the Lord
Don't get depressed, remember His promises on this day.
He has beautiful plans for you and longs for relationship with you.
If you want a love story today, start an eternal one with your prince. 
He won't let you down.

You are loved more than you will ever know, sweet friends!

Much Love,
L









Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. :) Thanks for the wonderful reminder! And I would LOVE to hear your love story with your sweet husband. I think your heart is right--it's a blessing for others to know how romance, how REAL love, can be--how marriage can be--how God works and blesses. I'm glad you're going to share your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, I am stopping by from FMMV. I am really excited to hear your love story :) Have a blessed day. Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen and amen. This is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. L, you have such kindness and compassion in your heart. I love you for it :) I just want to encourage you that as a single gal, I would love to hear your love story. You are so right, it can be SO encouraging to hear how God has worked in other's lives. I am so thankful that you take such consideration on how your words will affect others, it's something I can certainly do more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've touched on things I've been thinking about lately. By the way, I love hearing other people's love stories and seeing the different ways God brings them together, they bring me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful post! Thank you for the reminder my friend xoxo

    ReplyDelete