Image Map

Monday 19 December 2011

{On my Heart} Mondays. [Part 2: Joy instead of complaining]

'Lament is a cry of belief in a good God, a God who has His ear to our hearts, a God who transfigures the ugly into beauty. Complaint is the bitter howl of unbelief in any benevolent God in this moment, a distrust in the love-beat of the Father's heart. God's anger kindles hot when the essence of the complaint implies doubt in His love....'
~ Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts




For those of you that have been in recent contact with me, you know that I am in love with this book, One Thousand Gifts. I can't highly recommend it enough. Ann Voskamp has done an amazing job of encouraging & challenging me through her thoughts. 

Of the many things I have been challenged by, the one on my heart currently is: replacing an attitude of complaint with joy and gratitude. I have been remembering that God has my best interests in mind for the things which come into my life. He is a loving God who cares about me more than I can comprehend. If I complain about things occuring in my life am I really doubting that the Lord cares about me. That He doesn't care about my best interests? 

I have been learning to see joy in the mundane of life. To see each small thing as a gift from the Lord. When you start to see life in this way, you realise how many gifts He bestows on us everyday. It truly is a different way of seeing life. A far more beautiful way. A way which acknowledges the Lord and meditates on Him, constant communion with Him throughout the day.
It also helps me have a much better attitude. There is nothing worse than hearing someone complain when they could be choosing to see joy.

The other thought which the quote from Ann Voskamps's book brought to mind was the story in Exodus about the Israelites and the manna. They complained about His provision for them, ever thought that their attitude of complaint led to them not being able to ever get to the Promised Land?
Each time I see things differently, it feels like I am seeing the Promised Land, a new level of God's love. A new understanding of who He is. 
A greater Love.
My first Love.

Much Love,
L

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment