Image Map

Thursday 17 November 2011

A different sort of focus.

Wedding Day
 I'm taking a little break today to focus on something more personal and on my heart.

In her book, Authentic Beauty, author Leslie Ludy describes an interesting scene of a young, excited bride-to-be at her wedding shower. Older married women were present giving her advice on marriage. I am a HUGE fan of this idea. I had some wonderful godly women give me incredible advice at my own shower of a similar nature. 
In her book, the scene is perhaps not quite what the bride would have expected. A lot of the advice seems kind of negative. As though it is more important to have 'realistic expectations' and realise that you will spend the rest of your marriage getting your husband to notice you after your honeymoon. 
I completely agree with Leslie that while the banter may seem harmless, did it affect the bride-to-be as she was embarking on what she expected to be a beautiful time in her life. 

If God is capable of writing a beautiful love story during our time of getting to know each other, then why would He not continue to write us a beautiful story after we say 'I Do.'

During the short 16 months we have been married. Rather than be discouraged with the way our love has become, my love for Andrew has grown immensely. 
We certainly did not have the first year of marriage I thought we would. But God's ways are higher than my own, a very good thing.
If anything, I understand Andrew a whole lot more than I did before we got married & truly love him for it.
He is an incredible man who works hard at his TWO jobs! He provides for us, we have a wonderful home to live in. He is caring, a wonderful listener, a thinker and always seeing the good in others.
I am proud to be his wife. 

I suppose I could choose to see his irritating habits and grow discouraged because I feel he is unloving at times. That would not be loving him the way I am called to love him. I am learning how to be a grace dispenser and not just a grace receiver. (Perhaps more on this some other time)
He has wonderful goodwill toward me as his wife & I can choose to believe that he never purposefully chooses to hurt me. This saves a lot of silly arguments and allows me to focus on his good qualities. 
Here's to growing intimacy with the coming years and praising God for a wonderful husband.

If you don't yet have this kind of relationship in your life, remember what Christ has done for you & how He is able to fill you completely. Completely. 
A relationship with someone on earth is secondary to this love. 
I am not trying to point out something you do not have, merely express my thankfulness for one of the many blessings in my life.

Much Love,
L

P.S. Check out the new button link to Sweetness Itself to the Right. 

 
Our Courtship or 'Getting to know each other' Days
A year of marriage.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Lis, your words here are so wise and precious. Filing away your wisdom for future times :) What a good perspective, I know the Lord has amazing things for your future!
    Love those pics, you both looks so little in the first one, so cute!
    XO
    Erin

    sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always such important things to focus on! Love your your blog!

    Jeana

    ReplyDelete