Image Map

Monday 30 June 2014

The Family of Jesus By Karen Kingsbury



If you've seen many of my book reviews before, you probably know by now that I am a huge Karen Kingsbury fan. I own almost all of her books and have read the entire Baxter Family Series several times. The Bailey Flannigan Series even more. So when I was given a copy of her new book to review before it was even released, I may have squealed. 

The Family of Jesus releases tomorrow on July 1st, you can purchase it through amazon for $9.78 right now on their pre-release kindle price (hardcover print $13.00).  

This book is a historical biblical fiction account of the family members of Jesus. It gives fictional (but biblically accurate) accounts from the perspectives of Joseph, Zechariah, John the Baptist, Elizabeth, James and Mary. With bible study sections for each to look further into the biblical context and implications. 

I really appreciated Karen Kingsbury's careful way of sticking to biblical truth and her explanation of how she went about her construction of the stories. Inserting biblical truth first, then researching culture to ensure accuracy then lastly filling gaps with fiction. Obviously the most accurate accounts are those found in the bible itself, but I loved seeing it come to life through stories in the Family of Jesus as Karen Kingsbury has certainly been gifted with story-telling. 

I don't think it was my most favorite book written by her, I am not a particular fan of historical fiction. But it was definitely my favorite historical fiction book by far. I also loved the bible study sections with each perspective, that was a huge highlight. I look forward to going back and spending more time in those sections. 

Hope you enjoy! Have you read anything good lately?



Disclaimer: I did receive a copy of this book in exchange for review, however all views expressed are entirely my own thoughts and opinions


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I'm actually reading a Karen Kingsbury book right now! "Every Now and Then," one of the September 11 series. I definitely enjoy her books! And I LOVE historical fiction, so that one sounds absolutely awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry took me so long to reply, friend! Oh fun!! Her books are all amazing although they usually make me cry lol.
      You would probably really like this then, since its hers and also historical fiction :) Much Love!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete